Thursday, March 13, 2008

Today has been wonderful in so many ways!



I was having lunch with my friend Sheree to make plans for the upcoming wine gala I am coordinating (lunch was delicious and delightful all by itself, but read on...) when Jenny called to say that WE ARE GOING TO ETHIOPIA IN TWO WEEKS!


I am traveling with Matt & Jenny & Eliana to pick up their new daughters/sisters, respectively in Ethiopia. Mostly I'll be helping wrangle kids on the plane ride back and hanging out with E while Matt & Jenny do red tape-y things. I've never really traveled at all and this is a heck of a way to start! Please pray for us.


Then I got a call from Joshua that he was accepted into his dream grad program at U Chicago. Even though I'll be sad to see the Eleks leave Wheeling, I am so glad for him. We knew he would get in, but it took actually getting in for him to believe it--not a bad strategy I guess.
The rest of the day was spent getting things taken care of for work--lots of emails and phone calls--all of which were full of great news and new opportunities.

Then this evening I went to a wine tasting at GMW which was nice on its own of course, but there was a moment during Dominick's ramblings about Pinot Noir that I had such a vivid flashback to evenings spent on the Veranda when I lived there. The Veranda was this wonderful little urban secret garden/patio that was the site of so many wonderful summer evenings spent with friends, a record player, and wine and cheese. I'm feeling nostalgic--indulge me:







All these pictures are from my 27th Birthday Party--sadly, we didn't often have a camera with us on the Veranda. We really did spend time out there on other occasions!

This is the first time I have been sad not to live there anymore. Since I moved into my little yellow house, I often forget I haven't always lived here. This winter provided many wonderful memories already, but none took place outside, under the stars, warm summer evenings flying by. I have a deck and I look forward to creating new memories there, but so few of my friends from the original Veranda are around--that's a place and time that I'll never have back.
I am not sure when I'll get around to understanding that time really passes, the world keeps turning, people move on, and all this without my having any say whatsoever. Maybe tomorrow.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

hey katie, stumbled upon your blog again--i like it! i did notice...my blog has no "a" at the beginning (just www.witness.....)

hope you're having a great week!

dmay said...

ktt - nicely put... i'm missing veranda days myself. haven't found one quite as good out here in cali yet. maybe it was the slugs...? much love, miss you.

Bonstance said...

Aww...Dwayne and Lester and Vera are missed indeed. I miss the Veranda Days as well. We need to make a formal name for your deck. How about The Deck? Or simply, "Deck?"

Susan Haarman said...

Just found your blog my dear... indeed time blows us in a million different direction, but i'm so thankful for the places I've been and that fact my life intersected yours!